Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Boyhood

Hi, just a quick update.

Source: Wikipedia

I've just finished watching Boyhood. It's a movie filmed over about 12 years. Remarkable, right? I know. So, initially, I was like what the hell is the movie about, it doesn't really has a plot or anything. Then, at the end, I thought to myself. This is a pretty damn good movie. If it's based on a book, I'd defo read it even though I've watched the movie. Sadly, it's not, I think. Let me know if it is.

Oh, I just read that it's an indie movie. I'm never quite sure about the genres of movies.

Anyway, basically, this movie is about this kid who has a sister and live with a single mother. His dad is not dead or anything, they're just divorced. It's difficult being a single mum so there's a lot of struggles and moving going on. This kid's father visit them every other weekends. This literally portrays the ups and downs there are in life. How people made bad choices and all the other characters falling in and out of love. However, it's still a pretty cliche plot in my opinion. The struggles of getting out of the bad choices, though, are pretty admirable.

I'm trying to tell you what this movie is about without telling too much about it so I won't spoil the movie for you. Anyway, come to think of it, it's really not that extraordinary except for the fact that it was filmed over the course of 12 years. Also, means that the aging of the characters is real. But, I don't know, I've never experienced such thing in life, the movie just touched somewhere in my heart.

Source: HitFix
They are the same boy, Ellar Coltrane (Mason in the movie)

Maybe it's because I've always had a soft side for sappy family drama. Dramas with story lines that revolve around family, such as Parenthood. Don't even get me started on Parenthood. It's literally the best tv series in history and I don't know why it got cancelled. The finale was two weeks ago, I think. Ending with 6 seasons. IMDb even gave it a 8.1/10 rating.

Anyway, back to Boyhood. But, really though, there wasn't much about family in the movie. It's mostly about the boy. It's just.. I don't know, interesting. 

Now I get it why everyone was like 'what the hell' when Birdman won the Oscar instead of Boyhood. I mean, even if its plot is meh, the fact that it is filmed over 12 years, I think, is Oscar-worthy. But then again, I haven't watch Birdman la so cannot really judge.

Ok, I get it. I usually only post boring updates about my life and not stuff like this. But I heard one of the soundtracks in the movie and it's really good. That's part of the point but not the whole thing. My point is, I don't know why, but all songs named Hero(es) are really good. The song I heard was called Hero.

I mean look Hero by Enrique Iglesias was like one of the top hits; Heroes by Alesso ft. Tove Lo was probably top ten in the chart or something; Heroes by David Bowie, a great indie song; Hero by Family of the Year (a soundtrack from Boyhood) is just eargasm.

I've embedded the songs below so you can feed your ears with good music if you want to.

Enrique Iglesias - Hero

Alesso ft. Tove Lo - Heroes

David Bowie - Heroes

Family of the Year - Hero

I don't know how I can bullshit so much about a movie while I struggle to write a blog post about my life.

0 comment(s):